Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to steam a live Alaska King Crab:
- Prepare Steaming Setup: Set up your large pot with a steaming rack. If unavailable, improvise with a heatproof plate or foil balls to elevate the crab.
- Add Water: Pour 1-2 inches of water into the pot, enough for steam but not to touch the crab.
- Heat Water: Bring the water to a boil on the stove.
- Prep the Crab: Handle the live crab carefully, placing it in the pot on the rack or in a steamer basket.
- Cover and Steam: Lid the pot and simmer steadily. Steam 10-15 mins per 500 gram (e.g., 1kg = 30~45 mins).
- Check Doneness: Ensure the crab’s shell turns orange-red, legs firm and curled. Test a small leg for opaque, easily removable meat.
- Serve: Carefully transfer the steamed crab to a platter. Serve hot with melted butter, lemon, and desired dips.
*Remember to handle live crabs with care and follow seafood safety guidelines. Steaming preserves the crab’s natural sweetness and flavor.